After the items in your order have been picked and packed, a personal shopper will start the delivery process. In some cases, the person who shops your order may not be the one who delivers it.
To make sure you get your delivery as scheduled, we recommend—
- Turning on notifications for the Instacart app
- Keeping an eye out for text messages and phone calls from the delivery driver
- Leaving helpful instructions for parking, gate codes, or other clues to find your home.
Driver can’t find your location
If the delivery driver can’t find your location, they’ll try to get in touch with you via text message or phone call before taking further action. Unless you specifically request for them to do so, drivers are unable to leave an order unattended. Orders containing alcohol can never be left unattended.
When a customer can’t be found or contacted for an extended period of time, the order may be cancelled.
Unavailable to receive delivery
In the case that you can’t be there to receive your delivery in person, we recommend first reaching out to a friend or neighbor to get it for you. Just let the driver know of the change by adding a note in the delivery instructions or sending them a message through the Instacart app or website.
Alternatively, you can ask the driver to leave the order unattended in a designated spot.
Please note: orders containing alcohol require the I.D. and signature of someone 21 or older and cannot be left unattended
Wrong address on order
Place an order and realize too late that it’s headed to the wrong address? You’ll need to reach out to Instacart Care for assistance.
Refund, Returns, and Cancellation policy
Refunds and cancellations are subject to certain conditions. Please read carefully to understand our policies.
To request a refund for any reason, you must make your request within 7 days of delivery.
Please let us know as soon as possible if your order—
- Is missing items that you were charged for on the final receipt
- Contains damaged, spoiled, or otherwise unusable items.
Refunds are processed immediately, but it may take up to 2 weeks to see the funds in your account, depending on your bank.
Account credits can be used immediately after we issue them.
Change your mind about an item? You have the option of taking the item back to the store with your receipt. The return will be subject to the store’s return policies, which vary by retailer.
Cancelling an order
You can cancel an order for a full refund without any additional fees at any time before a shopper begins shopping.
The process is simple on a browser or in the app—
- Select Profile in the upper left-hand corner
- Choose Your Orders
- Select the order you’d like to cancel
- On the Order page, select Cancel order
When you cancel an order during the shopping or delivery processes, you may be charged a cancellation fee of up to $15. To cancel after shopping has begun, reach out to Instacart Care by selecting Contact Us at the bottom of any article.
Problem with your order
Receive a delivery you’re not completely satisfied with? In most cases, we can make things right quickly when you report a problem.
In the Instacart app or website, you can let us know about—
- Missing items
- Incorrect items
- Damaged items
- Poor replacements
- Late orders
You’ll get an email confirmation right away for any credits or refunds, and we’ll let you know as soon as any other issues are resolved.
If your order never arrived, reach out to Instacart Care.
Unknown charges, recurring payments, and other authorizations
See a charge from Instacart you don’t recognize? Before you reach out to us for help, you might want to double-check it’s not—
- An Instacart Express subscription fee
- A temporary authorization hold for an order in process
- An adjusted total for changes in your order (e.g., items unavailable or replaced items at a different price).
Temporary authorization hold amounts
For orders in process, we place a temporary authorization hold for a slightly higher amount than your estimated order total. This small difference accounts for potential changes in the final total due to special requests, added items, items replaced at a different price, and actual weight of items.
We will only charge you for the total of the items delivered to you.
Final total different from total at checkout
When you place an order, we show you the anticipated total, including estimated taxes and fees. The final total charged to your card may be different if any changes occur during the shopping process, such as—
- An item is out of stock and you’re refunded
- You add an item to your order after checkout
- An item you order needs to be replaced, and the replacement has a different price
- An item you order is sold by weight and the exact weight is slightly different
- Your personal shopper fulfills a special request for an item not in the catalog.
For security reasons, our payment processor cannot store a card's CVC on file. Our payment processor flags the initial charge as "recurring" so that you don’t have to re-enter your card information every time you place an order.
If the scenarios outlined in this article do not apply, and you still feel the charge you see is fraudulent, please email us and include the following information—
- The last four digits of your card number
- The date of the unauthorized charge(s)
- The amount of the unauthorized charge(s)
We recommend talking to us before disputing unknown charges directly with your bank. When a dispute is filed, the associated Instacart account is placed on hold during the investigation, which can take up to 90 days.
Rescheduling a delivery
You can change your delivery date and time up until a shopper begins working on your order. Here’s how to reschedule:
In the app:
- Tap the Account icon
- Tap Your Orders
- Select the order you’d like to reschedule
- Next to the delivery date and time information, tap Edit
- Choose a new delivery time and/or date
- Tap Reschedule delivery time
On a computer:
- Log in and click Account
- From the dropdown menu, click Your orders
- Locate the order you’re rescheduling and click View Order Details
- On the Order Details page, in the Order Info box on the right side of the page, click Edit
- Choose a new delivery time and/or date
- Click Save in the upper right corner
- The new delivery date/time will update in the Order Info box. You’re all set!
Cub Foods stores in your region now offer a new, more convenient option for shopping with Instacart. You will now get your Instacart Pickup orders in climate-controlled lockers, located outside the front entrance of specific Cub stores.
Here’s how it works—
- Shop and checkout on the Instacart app, selecting a time window during which your order will be available for pick up. Your order will stay in the locker until the store closes
- Arrive at the store, find the outdoor lockers at the front entrance, and open your app to find a special PIN in the dashboard
- Tap the screen in the center of the lockers and input your special PIN
- LED lights illuminate next to the locker(s) containing your order. Pull open the locker doors to access. If you accidentally close a locker door before you finish collecting your items, don’t worry. Your PIN works for an additional 15 minutes after you first open the locker(s)
- Collect your order and carry on living your life!
There are 3 types of Pickup lockers: freezer, refrigerator, and room temperature (for shelf-stable foods like cereal) so your cool and frozen items are kept at a safe temperature before you pick them up.
If your entire order won’t fit in available lockers, your app will note such and you can pick it up at a temperature-controlled storage area inside the store. Check your Instacart app (where you found your unique PIN) for additional directions. If you are unable to pick up your order before Cub closes for the night, your order will be returned inside the store and you will get a refund but charged a $15 fee.